From Saint Francis de Sales:
Simple Advice for Renewing
Your Spiritual Journey
From the thousands of personal letters by St. Francis de Sales comes this short, practical guide that will develop in you the soul-nourishing habits that lead to sanctity.
St. Francis de Sales is widely regarded as one of the greatest spiritual advisers in the history of the Church, and we have drawn from his letters the wisest advice for those prepared to take the next step on their spiritual journey.
As he did for saints and sinners in his own time, St. Francis de Sales will stiffen your resolve, help you gain small victories over unruly passions, and restore in you a trusting confidence in Jesus Christ. Soon you’ll find yourself delivered from the chains of self-love as your soul opens to divine goodness and your heart is shaped into a fitting place for Christ to dwell and reign eternally.
If you find it difficult to live amid the clamor of the world with your eyes fixed on Christ alone, let St. Francis de Sales teach you how to live as a true rose among thorns as you learn . . .
• What to do when you stop finding consolation during prayer
• How to place yourself in the presence of God
• How busy people should pray
• Do you fear vice more than you love virtue? A guide to discernment
• How to be patient with your family
• The dangers of too many devotions
• How to know when your feelings are from God or the devil
• What to do about repeated spiritual dryness
• The three things you must do to be at peace
• How to avoid thoughts that give us anxious and restless minds
Absorb the wisdom in these holy pages, and you’ll soon make true progress on your spiritual journey and navigate with confidence the treacherous waters of our secular world.
Roses Among Thorns
by Saint Francis de Sales
128 Pages – List Price: $11.95
when you order the set:
Order the set
at this link for
From the young St. Francis de Sales’s heroic efforts to bring Calvinists back to the Faith comes this succinct, eloquent defense of the age-old Catholic practice of making the Sign of the Cross, which sixteenth-century Calvinists denounced as a Popish invention and many Protestants scorn even today.
Embodying the zeal of youth and the wisdom of age, this gentle jewel of Catholic apologetics traces the origins of the Sign of the Cross back to the Fathers of the Church, to the Apostles before them, and finally to our Lord Himself.
Along with St. Francis’s other lucid explanations of our Catholic Faith and his undaunted love even for those who hated him, this modest book helped restore to their native Catholic faith tens of thousands of heretics who not long before were intent on killing him.
As they did for the Calvinists in St. Francis’s day, so in our day these pages will bring you a better understanding and a renewed love the Sign of the Cross, that brief and lively exterior prayer by which, from time immemorial, God has been invoked by serious Christians before all of their endeavors.
Among the other things you’ll learn here:
• Why now is always the right time to make the Sign of the Cross
• Why God chooses to attach power to the Sign of the Cross
• Why it is made on the forehead
• How to convince skeptics to value and pray with it
• Two uses of the Sign of the Cross: do you know both of them?
• How the Sign of the Cross is the antidote to the Mark of the Devil
• Errors in the claims of those who oppose this practice
• The theological significance of the motions, vertical and horizontal
• Two reasons it has particular power against the Enemy
• Why you should make the Sign of the Cross publicly and often
Outside the Creed itself, there are few topics to which the Fathers testify as universally and unanimously as the pious practice of making, frequently and well, the Sign of the Cross. With the help of these holy pages, the saints’ love for it will enkindle yours. Soon you’ll be saying with St. Jerome, “With every work, with all of my comings and goings, may my hand make the Sign of the Cross!”
when you order the set
Order online above or call