About this item
The Seven Sacraments is a compilation of 10 supplemental lesson plans, enabling you to go beyond the limitations of current textbooks by offering a more comprehensive, in-depth, and engaging approach.
Every self-contained lesson in this guide is teacher-written, classroom-tested, and scholar-reviewed, and gives you everything you need to help your students encounter Christ in the Sacraments.
Each lesson is designed in a flexible, modular format, and includes:
- Essential questions
- Connections to the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Accessible and engaging background reading
- Comprehension and critical thinking questions
- Warm-up / bell work
- Main activity such as primary source analysis, role-playing, class discussion, creative assignments, and many others
- Homework and extension options
- “Becoming Like Christ” extension that helps students live the Faith
- Biblical memorization
- Age-appropriate Catechism memorization suggestions
Lessons included in The Seven Sacraments:
What Is a Sacrament?
- What is the secret and joyful realm of the Sacraments?
- Why are Sacraments effective whether we feel them or not?
The Institution of the Eucharist
- Why is the Eucharist the Source and Summit of our Faith?
- How did Jesus institute this sacrament?
- What were Christ’s claims and commandments at the Last Supper?
Old and New: Eucharistic Typology
- How does the New Testament lie hidden in the Old, and how s the Old unveiled in the New?
- What is Baptism?
- How can it be possible that we die to live?
- How do we know when something belongs to us?
- If Baptism brings us into Christian life, and Reconciliation forgives sins, then why should we bother with Confirmation?
- What is the Eucharist?
- What Are Its Fruits?
- How do we receive the Eucharist, and why do we need to receive it often?
- Why can’t everyone receive the Eucharist? Isn’t it wrong to exclude people?
- What is the structure and purpose of Holy Mass?
Penance and Reconciliation
- Why should I go to Confession when I can just tell God I’m sorry in my prayers?
- Can my sins be so bad that God won’t forgive me?
Anointing of the Sick
- What are the effects of Anointing of the Sick?
- What are the Cardinal Virtues, and how can they help us receive God’s grace?
- Who are the successors of the Apostles?
- Why can only men be priests?
- How is what Christ did for humanity like what spouses do for each other?
- How is divine love reflected in married love?
This resource facilitates experiential learning with sacred art including works by:
- Fra Angelico
- Jacopo Bassano
- Van Dyke
- Leandro Miguel Velasco
Your students will read and analyze primary sources including excerpts from:
- St. Ambrose
- St. Melito of Sardis
- Age-appropriate excerpts from Catechism of the Catholic Church
In addition to two Biblical memorization assignments in every lesson, your students will study in-depth and apply their knowledge of scripture passages including:
- Genesis 2:18, 21-25
- Exodus 12:1-20
- Ruth 1:16-17
- Luke 3:21-22
- Luke 5:1-11
- Luke 5:4-11
- John 8:4-11
- John 12:24
- John 13:4-8
- John 21:15-17
- Luke 15:11-32
- Luke 22:14-20
- Mark 10:6-9
- Matthew 12:21-22
- Matthew 4:19
- John 9:1-7
- Mark 8:22-26
- Mark 10:46-52
- Matthew 20:29-34
- Romans 6:3-4
- Galatians 3:26-28
- Titus 3:5
- 1 John 3:1-3
- 2 Timothy 1:6-14