About this item
Surprised by Life
Here you’ll read the eye-opening, often heartrending life stories of ten people who struggled with some of the most difficult issues human beings face – and who, as they struggled – were drawn out of pain and darkness by the beauty of Catholic teachings about life, marriage, and human sexuality.
Dramatic and thought-provoking, these intensely personal stories address virtually every controversial issue surrounding life, including in vitro fertilization, abortion, contraception, and more.
Gathered by popular Catholic apologist Patrick Madrid, they turn on its head the oft-heard charge that Catholics embrace the Church’s teachings on life only “because they are Catholics.” These good folks show the opposite: they are Catholics because of the Church’s pro-life teachings.
In these pages you’ll meet, among others:
- AnneMarie S., one of San Francisco’s highest paid call girls, made pro-life – and then Catholic – by a Catholic radio talk show.
- Leticia A., the sexually-abused Texas Baptist teenager, whose life of wild promiscuity was brought abruptly to an end by her need for true marriage, which she found only in the Church.
- Heather S., the pregnant teenager whose soul was awakened to the Faith by ten pro-life words from Pope John Paul II.
- Jewels G., the post-abortion pro-abortion crusader, whose failed suicide left her alive long enough to meet good Catholic women who explained the Church’s teachings, turned her pro-life, and won her to the Faith.
- Leila M., the contracepting, pro-sterilization wife whose views were overthrown by the stark contrast between Planned Parenthood and the sweet memory of the wise pro-life teachings of her college ethics teacher, good Father Ryan.
- Chris A., the sexually profligate Jewish lawyer, who too late came to see the evil of the abortions he enabled, and now works as a Catholic apologist seeking to end this American holocaust.
- Plus others, who came into the Church after being “Surprised by Life.”
Love, Marriage, and the Catholic Conscience
Finally, you can learn the full truth about contraception and how it relates to love and marriage, including:
- What the Church really teaches about contraception;
- Why this teaching matters so much; and
- How it enriches Christian love and family life.
Once you discover the well-crafted explanations in these pages, you'll be able to put to rest any lingering doubts or difficulties you, your family, or your friends may have about the Church's stance on contraception. You'll come to see God's loving hand at work in this hotly debated area of Church teaching.
This brief but powerful book will teach you:
- Where the Church gets its authority to teach about birth control
- Why a truly loving marriage must be open to the procreation of children
- Why some advances in medical know-how must be rejected on moral grounds
- Why Church teachings on contraception can never change
- How periodic abstinence can actually strengthen a weak marriage
- Plus, more to help you understand and appreciate the Church’s teachings on love and marriage!
BONUS: these pages include the complete text of Humanae Vitae, Pope Paul VI’s 1968 encyclical letter on contraception.
No additional discounts are available on this specially priced set.