About this item
Spiritual Handbook for Catholic Evangelists
Nearly a century ago, the Trappist monk Jean-Baptiste Chautard sat in the silence of his cell and wrote this classic book, showing us how to live in the noise and bustle of the world and to win more souls for Christ.
Praised by Pope St. Pius X, Pope Benedict XV, and by many cardinals and bishops, Spiritual Handbook for Catholic Evangelists was an instant hit when it was first published in 1912, and has since been read with gratitude by hundreds of thousands of busy parents, teachers, preachers, catechists, and other Christians working in the world to save souls without losing their own.
Generations of Christians have turned to this book because Fr. Chautard understands — and here offers sure remedies for — the particular spiritual problems that afflict all of us who try to bring others to Christ. He explains how to avoid the self-righteousness and pride that bring down successful apostles, and the indifference and despair that hobble unsuccessful ones.
Relying on the spiritual wisdom of the greatest saints and mystics of the Church (from St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas to St. Francis de Sales and St. John of the Cross), Spiritual Handbook for Catholic Evangelists shows you how to achieve each of the three essential goals that you must accomplish in your apostolic efforts: you must win souls to Christ; you must promote your own spiritual welfare; and you must give glory to God.
Here is a spiritual handbook that will help you grow closer to Jesus as you spread His gospel, and will make it easier for you — by your words and your example — to lead ever more souls to Him.
Then reach for this modest book by Fr. P.J. Michel, S.J., a savvy professor of theology whose wisdom and common sense have been forged not only in the classroom, but by decades of ardent prayer and service to penitent souls in the confessional.
Here Fr. Michel explains where your temptations come from and helps rid you of them (and of your fear of them). He teaches you how to best respond to the different kinds of temptations that assail you, and he even shows you how to profit spiritually from your temptations, no matter how strong or frequent they may be! From these clear, succinct pages you’ll learn:
- Why you, in particular, are still tempted (and why God allows it)
- Whether your temptations show that you’ve turned away from God
- Whether the evil thoughts and impulses that afflict you regularly are merely temptations . . . or sins to which you have somehow consented
- Whether your temptations are a test, a punishment, neither, or both
- How to arm yourself against temptations… before they occur
- When it’s better simply to ignore — rather than battle — certain temptations
- The one, simple thing you must do when strong, persistent temptations occupy your mind
- What makes it easier to fend off sensual temptations
- Which temptations you must never reason with (as did poor Eve, to her sorrow – and ours!)
- What to do about temptations that arise from acts of virtue (e.g. pride that you’ve fasted well)
- The one promise of God you must be sure to remember when temptations discourage you
- And why you must never yield to despair, especially after you’ve yielded to temptations (and what to do instead)