About this item
In this classic work praised by Pope Pius IX himself, Fr. Nicolas J. Laforet lays out the spiritual causes of unbelief, and shows the antidotes necessary to remedy each.
Noting that unbelief is not a particularly modern phenomenon (after all, many people refused to believe in Jesus even after having witnessed his miracles), Fr. Laforet explains that unbelief is not merely a matter of the intellect; on the contrary, where unbelief prevails we almost always find its source in a person's will.
From the fruits of his spiritual and psychological analysis, Fr. LaForet then crafts a simple but powerful remedy — one that is sure to bring to Christ any reasonable person who honestly employs it.
No wonder the great Cardinal James Gibbons treasured this book, writing: “I consider its value beyond price, and highly recommend it to all, especially in these days of doubt and denial.”
Among the things you will learn here are:
- The spiritual roots of unbelief, and the main form it takes today
- If you can't make yourself believe, why does the Church consider unbelief a vice?
- Why Christianity could conquer the brutal Roman Empire, but suffer even more defeats in our day
- Faith and reason: learn how Christian faith purifies reason, strengthens it, extends it, and even elevates it
- True faith: why it isn't blind — and can never be
- The one thing that always opens the gates of faith — even to those who live in darkness
- Discover the two forms of materialism — practical and dogmatic— and how each corrodes faith
“This book will be a powerful aid to souls, helping them reject error and gain free access to truth.”Blessed Pope Pius IX